Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Things I Learned from My Dad


Today is my Dad's 64th birthday, so I thought I would honor him by letting you know about some knowledge he has passed on to me...

1. "Just check it out" - I was convinced that when I went to college that I would want to go to a small private Christian school. So, when Dad brought up the possibility of visiting his alma mater, UT - I was not interested. In fact, it was probably the last place I wanted to attend or visit. But, he talked me into going with him on a day trip to Knoxville to just check it out, and I instantly fell in love. It ended up being the perfect place for me to learn a lot about scholastic matters as well as life matters. So, in the end - just check stuff out - you never know. I love being a Vol.

2. "Girls, you are going to learn a lot more than just about the Grand Canyon." - My friend, Kristy, and I decided to see the Grand Canyon following our sophomore year of college. This was our first big trip where we were doing all the arrangements and had no one to meet us at the other end. That was the quote Dad left us with as we started our journey - and we referred to it often on our trip. Sometimes life is just about learning how to do things more than the actual goal. Because we learned a lot. A whole lot. And close to none of it had to do with the Grand Canyon.

3. "Scholars in the days of old didn't go to school to get a major - they went to school to study Greek, Latin, the classics - to learn. Nicole - go to school - take classes you want to take - to learn. Nicole - go to school - the Vols are going to up for a national championship." - This is what was said to me when I freaked out about picking a major and wanted to take a semester off. I went to school - to learn - and took Photojournalism, Historical Controversies, Private and Commercial Recreation, and another interesting class that has slipped my mind. I guess the lesson here is to take the opportunities you are given. I enjoyed the semester, found a major, and got to see Peyton lead us to a SEC championship.

Thanks Dad!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this! Dads are awesome!